Seattle fire likely caused by overheated electrical system

SEATTLE (AP) — Seattle Fire Department investigators say a fire that engulfed businesses in the city's Ballard neighborhood was mostly likely caused by an overheated electrical system.

The Seattle Times reports damages from the Monday afternoon fire have been estimated at $3 million to the property and contents inside Kitchen N Things, La Isla and Pho Big Bowl restaurants, Octo Designs & Jewelers, and Supercuts in the 2300 block of Northwest Market Street.

Fire department spokeswoman Kristin Tinsley says while officials said the fire originated in the "void space between the ceiling and roof" and its cause was likely electrical, the official cause of the fire will be considered "undetermined" because of the amount of damage and the instability of the structure.

Tinsley noted that a large fire wall between the jewelry store and pho restaurant helped prevent the fire from spreading farther down the block.