Electrical malfunction caused house fire in Kent

KENT - Fire investigators say an electrical malfunction is to blame for a house fire in Kent.

Firefighters were called to a home in the 25000 block of 20 Ave. S. just before 10:30 p.m. Wednesday night, when residents noticed smoke coming from the home's roof.

Officials think the fire had burned undetected for quite a while, charring the roof trusses and discoloring the ceiling.

Firefighters had to pull down parts of the ceiling and open a hole in the roof to get to the fire.

Investigators ruled the fire accidental and say it was caused by an electrical malfunction in the attic space wiring.

All five residents were able to get out safely.