Evergreen High School football player dies after game injury; classmates grieve

SEATTLE -- An Evergreen High School football player injured during a game Friday night has died.

Harborview Medical Center spokesperson Susan Gregg said Kenney Bui died just before noon on Monday.

Bui, a TEC High School senior wide receiver and defensive back, was hurt during the 4th quarter of the game at Highline Memorial Stadium.

Highline Public Schools spokesperson Catherine Carbone Rogers said he was taken by ambulance to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle where he underwent surgery. He was last listed in critical condition in intensive care on Sunday.

The family has asked for privacy and no further details have been released.

Highline Superintendent Susan Enfield released the following statement:

"It is with great sadness that School Board President Bernie Dorsey and I share with you that TEC High School senior Kenney Bui, who was critically injured in Friday night’s Evergreen v. Highline football game, died this morning at the hospital.

This is a devastating loss for all of us -- Evergreen students, families, and staff, and our entire Highline community.

Our deepest condolences go out to Kenney’s family and all who knew him. Please join us in keeping them in your thoughts and prayers."

A source told Q13 FOX News that Bui suffered a head injury.

Rogers said all schools have licensed and certified trainers at every game, and that all coaches and volunteers go through head-injury concussion training.

Two other players injured last week

Another player, Adna High School senior David Young, suffered a C1 neck fracture, coach K.C. Johnson told the Seattle Times. He is in serious condition in intensive care, and has been fitted with a halo brace.

The Times reports both injuries happened while players were making tackles.

Johnson said Young was hurt in the fifth play of the game. He got up right after the play and jogged to the sideline complaining of neck pain.

Young was taken to Centralia Hospital and later transferred to Harborview.

The injuries come just a week after a player from Pateros High School collapsed during a football game. Ramon Angel-Oros had surgery to receive swelling in his brain.

Gregg said he was listed in satisfactory condition Sunday at Harborview.