Family of 3 sickened by carbon monoxide fumes

SEATTLE (AP) -- The Seattle Fire Department advises residents to protect themselves from carbon monoxide poisoning by installing a detector in their home for the colorless, odorless gas.

A family of three was sickened by fumes Thursday and firefighters responded to their 911 call from their home in the 5100 block of 41st Street NE.

They found a woman and 10-year-old daughter outside the house but the father was in the basement. All three were given oxygen and transported to a hospital to be checked.

Firefighters discovered the CO was coming from the basement furnace.  Crews secured the furnace and aired out the house until the air inside was safe to breathe.

The residents will be staying at relatives until the furnace can be repaired, firefighters said.