Marysville mourns loss of trooper killed in I-5 crash

The Washington State Patrol (WSP) trooper who died in a three-vehicle crash on Interstate 5 near Marysville early Saturday morning has been identified.

WSP said Christopher M. Gadd, 27, was on patrol searching for speeding and DUI drivers when he was hit and killed. According to the agency, he had been with WSP for two and a half years, starting back on September. 16, 2021.

"Chris’ passing is a devastating loss to his family who knows all too well about the risks of public safety servants," said WSP Chief John Batiste.

Gadd is survived by his wife, Cammryn, daughter Kaelyn, father WSP Trooper David Gadd, mother Gillian and sister, Jacqueline, who currently serves as a trooper with the Texas Department of Public Safety, according to WSP.

"I can tell you that across the entire Washington State Patrol, every head is bowed, every knee is bent, and every heart is broken as we mourn this loss," added Batiste.

Since news of his death, various law enforcement agencies have sent their condolences to Gadd's family and colleagues.

According to investigators with the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office, Gadd was killed when his vehicle was hit by a motorist just before 3 a.m. on southbound I-5 near 136th Street North.

Investigators said a man in an SUV was driving southbound when the vehicle veered off the roadway, onto the shoulder where it struck the parked WSP patrol car. The SUV driver was driving at a high speed when he crashed into Gadd's patrol car, according to the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office.

FOX 13 has learned a van with six passengers was also involved in the crash. It reportedly crashed into the SUV. The driver was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. The other passengers were not injured.

A 32-year-old Lynnwood man was evaluated and taken into custody for vehicular homicide.

Outside State Patrol Headquarters, a makeshift memorial has been set up for Trooper Gadd.

All day, supporters came by to drop off flowers and pray.

"We always just try to pay our respects," said Anna Utley from Marysville, who dropped off a large bouquet of flowers with her father Matt. 

"We live here," said Matt. "We live in this community. I ran into him a couple of times. He was just a nice guy. He was so young. This is so sad."

The suspect in the crash will have his first court appearance on Monday at 1 p.m.