Two generations killed in tragic construction accident

BONNEY LAKE, Wash. – A community is in mourning after the tragic loss of a young couple and their baby killed during Monday’s construction accident along SR 410.

Josh and Vanessa Ellis, and their 8-month-old son Hudson, died after a giant concrete barrier fell directly onto their pickup truck from an overpass.

Josh’s mother told Q13 FOX News over the telephone that she’s in a lot of pain after losing two generations of her family in an instant.

A memorial now lies near the crash scene as the tight-knit community comes to grips with a tragedy.

One by one, people placed flowers at a white cross sitting only feet from where the young family’s life was cut short.

“To be respectful and as a community, I think we’re all feeling this today,” said Katie Vance.

Neighbor Frank Thun heard the massive crash and called 911 when he saw the truck pinned under piles of construction materials.

“It darn near blew me back in the door, you know, it was quite a shake,” he said.

Josh and Vanessa worked with dozens of young people at Eastpointe Foursquare Church in Puyallup. Their pastor, James Ludlow, said he’s been consoling the Ellis’ extended family and his heartbroken congregation.

“It happened in an instant. They didn’t even know, it just was bam and they’re in the presence of God,” he said. “Josh and Vanessa were like my kids.  They still are, we love them deeply. It’s hard.”

The lead contractor on the Highway 410 sidewalk construction project has halted operations.

On Tuesday, the state Department of Labor and Industries said it opened an investigation into WHH Nisqually Federal Services, and its subcontractors, American Concrete Cutting and Staten Companies.

But for the Eastpointe community, now is a time to celebrate the life of a young family so full of love and promise.

“Josh and Vanessa were huge, she’s the loudest person in heaven right now, she, just her personality is huge,” said Ludlow.

A candlelight vigil was planned at the Ellis’ church at 7 p.m. Tuesday. The vigil was open to the public.