2 dead after 'random, senseless' shooting and crash in North Seattle

SEATTLE -- A man was fatally shot and another died in a car crash Wednesday after authorities say a man opened fire on several vehicles in North Seattle. The man was taken into custody after allegedly crashing a stolen car.

Seattle Police say it started at about 4:05 p.m. in the area of Sand Point Way NE and Bartlett Avenue. The man allegedly approached a car and shot the 56-year-old woman who was driving it. She was hospitalized and in satisfactory condition as of Wednesday evening.

After the initial shooting, the suspect then opened fire on a southbound Metro bus, hitting and injuring the driver, officials said.

King County Executive Dow Constantine says the driver, Eric Stark, was able to move the bus to a safe location after being shot. He was later transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

King County Metro says no passengers on board the bus were injured.

Authorities say after shooting the bus driver, the suspect approached another car and shot and killed the 50-year-old male driver. He then fled from police in the man's vehicle and collided with another vehicle, officials said.

The 70-year-old man driving the other vehicle was killed in the crash.

Police say there was a brief standoff after the crash before the suspect was taken into custody.  He was hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries.

Seattle Deputy Police Chief Marc Garth Green called the shootings a "random, senseless act."

"We're outraged at what this suspect did," he added.

During a press conference Wednesday evening, Seattle City officials commended Eric Stark for his actions after being shot while driving the bus.

"He saved lives," Mayor Jenny Durkan said.

People who live in the neighborhood say the shooting is a disturbing reality to live with.

“It could’ve been me if I was driving down this road going to the dog park or something,” said one woman who was walking her dog around the area.

Seattle Police are still investigating the motive of the shooter. The names of the men who were killed were not released.