Dumb criminals file? Suspects drive stolen SUV into parked patrol car

VANCOUVER, Wash. (KPTV) -- Vancouver police officers didn't have to go looking for suspects in a stolen SUV case:  The accused criminals accidentally found the police instead.

Vancouver police said a stolen SUV drove right into the side of a parked patrol car with its emergency lights on at Northeast 68th and St. Johns Road.

It happened at 8:30 a.m. Monday.

Officers said the patrol car was parked in the roadway to protect a previous crash scene.

John Valenzuela, 27, is accused of driving the stolen GMC Yukon around a fire truck first, and then hitting the police car.

Valenzuela and his passenger, Amber Settle, 26, were also in possession of stolen credit cards and Social Security cards, according to investigators.

The officer at the scene said both suspects appeared to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol, according to court documents, but the officer stated there was no odor of alcohol.

Court documents state that Valenzuela first provided police with a false first name, before later admitting he lied by trying to pass off his brother's name.

Police said Valenzuela had an active District Court warrant for his arrest. He is now facing additional charges of possession of a stolen vehicle, driving while suspended and driving while intoxicated.

Settle is charged with possession of a stolen vehicle and possession of stolen property. Both suspects were booked in the Clark County Jail.

Police said the Yukon was reported stolen on Dec. 15.

The SUV's owner, Ory Fitim, told Fox 12 he was shocked to see what was inside after police recovered it.

"Mostly when I opened my car, it was full of drugs inside, needles, syringes," Fitim said.

Fitim said he wasn't angry at the suspects. Instead, he said he feels sorry for them.

The SUV had stolen license plates swiped from another vehicle when it hit the patrol car, according to investigators.

No one was injured in the collisions. The patrol car sustained only minor damages.

Valenzuela and Settle made their initial appearances in court Tuesday.