Family of suspect shot by deputy in SeaTac wants answers, finds out there's no dash cams

SEATAC, Wash. -- Family members of a 17-year-old suspect who was shot and wounded by a King County deputy Thursday night have questions about what happened following a short pursuit through the side streets of Seatac.

"My head is spinning," said Darrell Murphy, the suspect's uncle. "It's like, unreal."

King County sheriff's Sgt. Stan Seo said it all began when two deputies spotted a stolen white Lexus Thursday at 8:20 pm. When deputies tried to pull the driver over, they say, the car took off through a small, side street where several families live.

Marcell Collier heard the whole thing.

"It was very scary because he was speeding down the street and usually a lot of kids are out here playing and stuff like that," Collier said.

Witnesses say the car turned onto a dead-end street and the driver had nowhere to go. Seo said two deputies yelled for the suspect to get out of the vehicle, but the driver put the car in reverse and used it to ram a police cruiser, trapping a deputy.

Photo of suspect vehicle as it rammed patrol car and trapped deputy between patrol car and patrol SUV, according to King County Sheriff's Office.

That's when the other deputy, an 11-year veteran of the Sheriff's Office, pulled out his weapon and fired two shots, hitting the suspect once in the head.

Seo said the teenage suspect was taken to Harborview Medical Center and that his injury was not life-threatening.

The suspect's uncle doesn't think his nephew would try to hurt an officer, but he would like to see dash-cam video of the events.

But he found out King County sheriff's patrol cars don't have dash cameras.

"It's mind-boggling. For their safety and just to find out what really happened, it would make sense to have a dash cam on board at all times," Murphy said.

Seo said the teenage suspect was taken to Harborview Medical Center and that his injury was not life-threatening.

Residents in the area expressed anger Thursday night about the shooting of the 17-year-old. And on Friday, the city of SeaTac issued the following statement that calls for calm:

"First and foremost, we are saddened by this incident involving a young man and an altercation with a deputy in SeaTac. Our thoughts are with the family of the young man and the deputies involved.

"The City is thankful that no one else, including any other members of the public or our officers, were injured.

"We know the King County Sheriff’s Office will keep us and our community informed of the results of their review and we have called upon them as our law enforcement agency to be as transparent as possible as new information emerges.

"The City is hopeful that our community will remain calm and thoughtful as we work through this matter and ask that any information or questions regarding the incident be directed to the King County Sheriff’s Office."

The deputy who fired his weapon was placed on paid administrative leave, as is usual,  during the investigation.