Heroic dog saves owner from house fire by shielding her from flames

A dog is being hailed a hero for risking its own life to save its owner from a house fire in Pennsylvania.

Andrea Bulat's dog started barking around 4:30 p.m. Sunday which neighbors said was highly unusual, according to WPVI.

When firefighters arrived at the home, they found the dog, Che, on top of Bulat who was unconscious. She suffered burns to more than half of her body and was taken in critical condition to a nearby hospital.

"The dog stayed on her chest the whole time, which prevented her from being burned totally," neighbor, Adele Butler, told the station.

Firefighters used oxygen to resuscitate Che. The dog was then taken to an animal hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.

"I think because of the dog being there, that really saved her," said Butler. "If the dog wasn't there, she'd probably be dead."

The Red Paw Relief Team identified the dog as a 10-year-old, 80-pound mixed Chow and Golden Retriever.

They said it was unclear if the dog would survive.

The fire remains under investigation.