Principal placed on paid leave after student's arrest for bringing firebomb to school

SEATTLE -- The principal of The Center School was placed on paid leave Tuesday while a review is conducted into whether all safety protocols were followed when a student allegedly brought a Molotov cocktail to school Monday, Seattle Public Schools announced.

"Pending a review to ensure that all protocols were followed, Principal Oksana Britsova has been placed on paid administrative leave," interim Public Schools Superintendent Larry Nyland said.  "BiHoa Caldwell, a retired Seattle Public Schools principal, will step in to serve as principal during the review process."

He said parents who have questions can attend a meeting at the school at 6:30 p.m. Thursday.

"The district is proud of the quick action taken by both students and staff during the incident," Nyland said. "At Seattle Public Schools, safety is a top priority, and we appreciate the care and efficiency demonstrated Monday morning at The Center School."

On Monday, students from The Center School were evacuated Monday morning after a 15-year-old student brought a Molotov cocktail, or firebomb, to the school, police said.

On Tuesday, the King County juvenile court found probable cause that the student be held in custody for unlawful possession of an incendiary device.  The deadline for the filing of formal charges is Thursday. The boy is set to appear in court again Friday.

On Monday, police said the student suspect appeared to have acted alone in bringing the device and no other suspects were outstanding.

The school is inside The Armory at the Seattle Center, so the entire building -- including the Children's Museum and the cafeteria -- was evacuated as a precaution.

The Center School is a small public high school in the 300 block of Harrison Street that focuses on arts and community involvement. Around 300 students attend Center School.

The evacuation comes on the heels of a school shooting Friday in Marysville that killed three, including the shooter, and severely injured three others.