Second day of protest marches in Seattle peaceful

SEATTLE -- Dozens of protesters marched through Seattle Tuesday night, occasionally blocking intersections and causing headaches for drivers. But police moved them along and there were no confrontations.

Earlier Tuesday, more than 1,000 high school students joined other marchers as many took to the Seattle streets to protest a Ferguson grand jury decision not to indict a police officer in the shooting death of 18-year-old Michael Brown.

Seattle Public Schools tweeted around 300 students from Roosevelt High School left class around 10 a.m. to march to the University of Washington Tuesday morning.

A short time later, as many as 1,000 Garfield High School students left to join protests already in progress at Union Street and 23rd Avenue.

“The integrity of America is at stake,” one protester said.

“It feels amazing, it feels empowering,” said one student.

“We shall come together, we shall change the system,” said another student.

In the crowd, there was a mix of all types of people who were angry over the grand jury not indicting Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson in the shooting death of a black teenager.

“We don`t care that your son died on the streets and somebody shot him when he was unarmed -- that is enraging,” protester Ariel Hart said.

Students from West Seattle High School also reportedly walked out. None of the events were sanctioned by the Seattle Public Schools, administrators said, and students' absences would count on their attendance record.

Marchers first met at Mount Calvary Baptist Church late Tuesday morning and marched to the federal courthouse for a culminating protest at 1 p.m. The protesters were accompanied by police.

“I am here to highlight the deeper issue, which is institutionalized and systemic racism,” Andrea Lopez Diaz said.

The peaceful protest was in stark contrast to Monday night's confrontation with police. It was a new day with a clear message.

“We have marched peacefully, now it’s time to move politically,” said one local pastor.
Mayor Ed Murray and Police Chief Kathleen O’Toole showed up to the march to show support.

Once marchers reached the federal courthouse, they congregated with chants of "hands up, don't shoot," a term meant to express Michael Brown's alleged pose when he was shot and killed.