Suspect dead after man with concealed carry permit intervenes in alleged carjacking

OREM, Utah -- A man with a concealed carry permit fatally shot a man in a Utah parking lot after intervening in a reported carjacking attempt. Police say it appears the shooting was justified, and the man will not face any charges, according to KSTU.

The incident started Saturday morning at an apartment complex when police were called to the scene of a fight. Five people, three women and two men, fled the scene in a vehicle.

Police said the suspects’ vehicle stopped a short distance away after hitting a curb. Surveillance footage shows the five people getting out of the vehicle. A 26-year-old male suspect stole a pickup truck from a home in that area and the other four left on foot.

Two of the females that fled on foot were apprehended and taken in for questioning regarding the incident.

The suspect who fled in the truck drove to a grocery store parking lot. Police said there he abandoned the truck and went to steal another vehicle.

“Subject gets out of the truck, goes over and pulls the lady out of the silver Mercedes, starts to get in the car, she’s screaming for help,” said Captain Ned Jackson of the Orem Police Department.

Detectives said that’s when a shopper, so far only identified as a 31-year-old male, confronted the suspect.

“Our citizen goes up at gun point, has him get out of the car, the guy gets out of the car,” Jackson said. “The suspect lunged and tried to get the gun from him, so at that point he’s trying to protect himself and shoots the gentleman.”

Police said the shopper, who had a concealed carry permit, was threatened and fired his weapon.

The suspect, who police have not yet identified, suffered a single gunshot wound and was transported to Utah Valley Hospital, where he died from his injuries.

Police say the man had several felony warrants. Officers are actively searching for the other two suspects involved in the original incident.

Officials with the Orem Police Department said the man who fired the gun is not facing charges at this point because it appears his use of deadly force was justified.

Names of those involved in the incident are being withheld until Monday.