Garage fire displaces 8 from Seattle home

Eight people were displaced on Saturday morning after a fire damaged their Seattle home.

Firefighters were called to the home on the 300 block of 19th Avenue just after 5:20 a.m. There was fire in the garage, with smoke spreading into the main part of the house.

Seattle Fire spokesperson Helen Fitzpatrick said that the fire was put out within 10 minutes, but smoke damage was evident throughout the home. There were no injuries to residents or firefighters.

The cause was determined to be combustible materials being too close to a furnace inside the garage, Fitzpatrick said. The damage is estimated at $70,000.

The Red Cross is helping out the eight people who live at the home.