Man killed in ‘domestic violence’ shooting in Snohomish

A man is dead in Snohomish County, following what investigators called a domestic violence situation. 

It happened in the 6500 block of 57th Ave SE Sunday morning.

Investigators were combing through the property all day Sunday after a suspect was taken into custody.  Neighbors say the law enforcement response was swift and the situation tense. 

"It was a pretty big manhunt in a small area," said Jennifer Fritz-Millard, neighbor. 

The sheriff's office reports that deputies responded to a call for a domestic violence incident involving a firearm on the property at around 11:30 am.  That's about the time neighbors like Jennifer began to see a massive law enforcement response at the small house. 

"At least 12 cop cars showed up. I live above the area, so I was able to see them," said Jennifer. 

Several neighbors told FOX 13 that the victim lived on the property with his son, and they believed that the incident involved the two of them.  That has not yet been confirmed by the sheriff's office.  Investigators are only saying that upon arrival, first responders found a man in his late 50s that had been shot and learned a 30-year-old suspect had barricaded themselves on the property.  

"The response was really swift," said Jennifer "They did really good about shutting down everybody." 

She says deputies warned neighbors to stay in their homes. 

"There was a lot of shouting, finally they did bring in a swat team," said Jennifer.  

Neighbors reported that the man had at one point barricaded himself in what they described as a trailer in the back. 

"There’s a tent and a shed and a trailer, and the property is a strip that goes all the back to the water," said Jennifer. 

The Snohomish County Sheriff's Office says ultimately, the 30-year-old surrendered. The victim was taken to the hospital by first responders but died soon after. 

"Once the SWAT team got out there,  things moved fast," said Jennifer.  "They were able to bring him in and contain him.  I think it could have been a mental health issue at this point." 

The Snohomish County Sheriff's Office has not yet released the name of the suspect and victim as of Sunday evening.