Autopsy fails to pinpoint cause of death of baby left in car for 6 hours on Intel campus

HILLSBORO, Ore. (AP) — An autopsy has failed to pinpoint a cause of death for a 6-month-old girl whose father says he forgot her, leaving her for six hours last October in a suburban Portland parking lot with the windows rolled up.

The Oregonian reports ( that a medical examiner said Wednesday it's likely Jillian Freier died within the first hour.

While the autopsy wasn't conclusive, Dr. Clifford Nelson of the Oregon state medical examiner's office says it's possible she died in her sleep before the car heated up. He ruled it "sudden unexplained infant death."

A recently unsealed affidavit suggested police suspected heat was involved in the death.

The affidavit quotes Intel worker Joshua Freier as saying he was taking his daughter to day care on Oct. 16 but started thinking about his job, drove to Intel in Hillsboro, got out and went to work. His wife called hours later to ask where the girl was.

The Washington County district attorney's office hasn't made a charging decision in the case.

 Below is an earlier story from last October on the case:

HILLSBORO, Ore. -- Police said a 6-month-old baby girl died after she was left in a car at the Intel campus here for six hours Thursday, KPTV in Portland reported.

According to the news station, firefighters and police were called out to the Intel campus on the 2000 block of Northeast 25th Avenue at 5 p.m. Thursday.

The baby was unresponsive. CPR was performed at the scene and she was taken to Tuality Hospital, where she was later pronounced dead.

The cause of death has not yet been determined.

Investigators said the child was left in her father's vehicle for six hours prior to the medical call. The father is the one who called police, officers said.

The case remains under investigation by Hillsboro detectives and no one has been charged with a crime at this time, KPTV reported.

An Intel spokesperson told KPTV on Thursday night that the company is cooperating with authorities, but declined to comment further.