Improperly discarded cigs spark Capitol Hill fire

SEATTLE -- Improperly discarded smoking materials -- either a cigarette or pot -- sparked a fifth-floor apartment fire late Tuesday night in Capitol Hill.

The fire on an apartment deck at 311 Bellevue Avenue in Capitol Hill started around 10 p.m. Tuesday night. Firefighters called to the scene quickly put the fire out, and flames were contained to the fifth floor. No injuries were reported, but the blaze caused an estimated $70,000 in damages.

Seattle Fire Department officials said poorly discarded smoking materials caused the fire, and wanted to remind smokers to properly extinguish cigarettes before heading to bed.

Apartment residents who had been evacuated were allowed back in early Wednesday morning.